2012年2月7日火曜日

How To Get Started On Running

how to get started on running

How to get started as a runner

Let me just preface this post by saying that I am in no way qualified to give advice about running--I'm no running coach! But a lot of people have been asking me lately about how to get started, so I'm happy to share with you what I've learned over the past couple of years as a runner. This is just based on my own experience.

I've been getting a LOT of blog visitors from Pinterest lately (welcome!!) and many many emails asking about running and my diet. I'll save the diet for another post, because I feel like I'm always answering that question, but I love to talk about running--so here goes.

When I was 253 pounds, I couldn't even imagine being a runner one day. And now I'm running at least three days a week, and training for my first full marathon... VOLUNTARILY.  I don't *love* running, like a lot of runners claim to; I just love the way it makes my body feel. I love that it's a very efficient form of exercise. I love that it makes me a nicer person in everyday life. I love that it helps me maintain my weight. I love how it's shaped my body.

But I hate actually DOING it. ;)  While I'm running, I'm always thinking "Five more miles" "Four more miles" "Three more miles" etc. Wishing I was done. And then when I finish, I think, "Wow, what a great run! I love running!"


Anyway, back to getting started...

I think the very first thing that one should do when thinking about becoming a runner is register for a 5k race. Say what?! Yes, register for a race. There is nothing that will motivate you to go out and run more than knowing you will HAVE TO run a race soon.


Running: Getting Started
Learn more
Jeff Galloway

I registered for a 5k race that was many months away, thinking it would take me that long to be build up to running 3.1 miles. I don't think you'll need THAT long. If you're a beginner, I'd give it about three months. Once you register for your 5k race, pick a training schedule. My very favorite training schedules are those by Hal Higdon. He has a novice, intermediate, and advanced schedule for just about any distance race you can think of. I would try his Novice 5k schedule. (Lots of people use a program called Couch to 5k also--I attempted it numerous times, but it was just too difficult for me. But maybe you can give it a whirl with different results).

The shortest run on Hal Higdon's 5k schedule is 1.5 miles. When I first started running, I couldn't run even 1/10th of a mile, so there is no way I could start on that schedule. I had to build my way up. If that is the case for you, set the training schedule aside for a while. This is how I built up my mileage:  I went outside and ran as far as I could manage (about 1/10th of a mile) and then I walked until I reached 30 minutes total. Then two days later, I did it again, and managed to run a little farther before walking the rest of the way.

I continued to do this (three times per week), running a little farther each day. After I had done about a mile and half, I was frustrated that I felt like I would never get any farther. I mentioned it to my brother, and he told me that I was probably going too fast. He said slow waaaay down, even if I felt like I could walk faster than I was running, and see if I could go farther.


Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance (Runner's World Complete Books)
Learn more
Dagny Scott Barrios

I took his advice and managed to run the 5k on my next time out! I was very very slow, but I didn't have to walk at all. Once I managed to run 5k, I tried to do it a little faster each time. I would set a goal before my run: "Today, I'm going to run 5k in 34:59 or less" or "Today, I'm going to run 5k in 32:30 or less" etc. Eventually, I reached a big goal of a sub-30:00 5k, which was very exciting for me.



You can build up your mileage that way, or you can follow the training schedule once you're able to run 1.5 miles. I LOVE training schedules, because you don't have to think about what you're going to do--the schedule just tells you what to do! However, you don't HAVE to follow the schedule right to the tee. I switched my days around as needed, and just checked off each run as I did them that week. If you're scheduled to run and it's pouring rain, there is no harm waiting until the next day to do it. Or if you're schedule to rest, but it's a gorgeous day, head out there and do the following day's run.

On getting faster...
I'm definitely not an expert here, either. I found what works best for ME is to add an interval workout once a week. Intervals are where you alternate slow running with fast running for short periods of time. For example, I might do the following:  Run 0.2 miles at a 10:00 min/mile pace; Run 0.2 miles at a 8:30 min/mile pace; repeat for the desired length of the workout. These workouts are easy to do on a treadmill, because you can set the pace with the touch of a button.

You all know how much I looove my dreadmill (not), so I choose to do intervals outside whenever possible. My Garmin Forerunner 305
 has an interval setting that beeps at the beginning of each interval. So when I hear a beep, I know to start running hard, and when it beeps again, I slow to a jog. Then later, I can look on the computer to see what my pace was for each interval. (You can set the intervals to be however frequent you want--either by distance OR time).


Another speed workout is called a tempo run. You run this at a "comfortably hard" pace. If your "comfortable" pace is 10:30/mi, then you might run the tempo at a 10:00/mi. It's faster than you're used to, but not so fast that you're sprinting.
Once you're comfortable with running about three times per week, you can make your own ideal running schedule when you're not training for something. Ideally, I like to do three runs per week: one shorter, easy run (about 3-4 miles at an easy pace); one speed workout, either intervals or a tempo run; and one long run, usually 6-10 miles.

When you want to do a race, you can follow the corresponding training schedule for that race. I always use Hal Higdon's programs, because they are very "do-able" for someone like me.

In a nutshell:
1) Sign up for a race.
2) Start training (three times per week).
3) Build up mileage by running slowly--work on speed later.
4) Eventually, try to do an easy run, a speed workout, and a long run each week.
5) Stay consistent. Run three times per week to keep in shape--if you take weeks off, it will be that much harder to get started again. Staying consistent is probably THE most important advice I can give you! I made a promise to myself that I would run a minimum of three times per week, NO MATTER WHAT. And with the exception of my two surgeries, I've kept that promise every single week for almost 2 years now.



A word on shoes... I HIGHLY recommend going to a running store and getting fitted for shoes. Not all running shoes are created equal, and you will benefit from having a professional fit you for the right shoe. You will probably pay a lot of money for a good pair of shoes--but it is WELL WORTH IT when you don't get blisters and tendonitis and stress fractures from wearing bad shoes.

I was super embarrassed to go to a running store when I was fat, because I felt like I didn't belong. But I got over it after I was in a walking cast for 3 weeks because of tendonitis. Now that I wear good shoes, I have no problems with my feet!



These are our most popular posts: how to get started on running

WalkBlogRun: Trail and Ultra Marathon Running: Getting Started is ...

Last semester, I started to run on a regular basis. At the time, I was only doing it for exercise. However ... read more

How To Get Your Get started with Visitor Running a blog

Even on days when I feel tired, running perks me up. Going for a run is also a great way to switch off. Solutions to problems just seem to appear when Im running. How long have you been running? How did you get started? Why did you ... read more

Introduction to running from zombies - N.E. Lilly

If you find yourself becoming increasingly jealous of your friends Facebook posts about how they had already completed a 10k before you even got out of bed, or even if youre just looking for an easy way to burn some extra ... read more

Who Has The Runs: Michelle M. has the runs!

Learn to run until youre 100 and beyond with Jeff Galloway. ... Most of the runners Ive worked with who do not eat breakfast, start their blood sugar intake at 2-3 miles into the run. I recommend taking 6-8 oz of water, about 2-3 ... read more

Related Posts



0 コメント:

コメントを投稿